New London Connecticut History
Connecticut College launched a visually rich new website Tuesday that summarizes information about the history of New London, Connecticut, from its beginnings to the present day. , which documents the development of the city's history from the early 19th century to its current incarnation.
The district is a compact and contiguous area, with many 18th century houses and a large number of modern buildings. The commercial architecture, which is found in many of New London's most prominent business districts, is well integrated into the context of downtown New London. There are houses that belong to the Old Town district, as well as the historic district itself, and there is a strong connection between the historic neighborhoods of the city and the business district.
U - Shaped Downtown New London Historic District, located near the river on Bank Street due to its proximity to the Old Town and the business district.
In the 19th century, the district experienced a major development, as whaling boosted the growth of New London. The shape is derived from the shape of the old town and its proximity to the river and business district. It was during this era of whaling that the next wave of maritime prosperity brought to NewLondon itself, and it was the beginning of a long period of economic growth for the city and the city.
An important activity was during the American Revolution, when New London became an important entry point for the US Navy due to its good port facilities. At the end of the Cold War, the Navy consolidated its operations at the Newport, R.I. facility, overshadowed by the construction of a new facility in Newport and the expansion of its facilities in New Haven.
In 1724 it became part of the newly founded Windham County, where it remained until 1826, when it was assigned to New London County. In 1827, Newtown County lost its position as the county's capital in response to the creation of newly established counties in New York and Connecticut.
In 1647, the Connecticut colony was given jurisdiction, and in the next decades several new cities were added to New London. By 1717, other cities were founded near the city, such as New Haven and the cities of Hartford and Hartford, as well as New York City, but they were all added to NewLondon County by 1718. Although the official year of foundation is 1646, New London had no permanent colonial inhabitants and no municipal rights until 1727.
When the colonists first settled in New London, Groton, Montville and Waterford were separated from him. Today - Salem was part of New London when it was founded, but in 1819 it became a separate city that consisted of parts of Lyme, Colchester, Montville and New Haven.
New London County was founded in 1666 and consisted of the towns of Killingworth and Saybrook as well as parts of New Haven, Essex, Middlesex and Essex County. In the 18th and 19th centuries, Iddlesex County was formed, consisting of towns in the lower Connecticut River Valley, with the town of Kilingworth in Saybrooke taking over NewLondon County as its capital.
The area that would later become New London was inhabited by the Pequot, who called it Nameaug when the Europeans arrived in North America. Dutch and English settlers, several Indian tribes inhabited the area, now known as NewLondon County, as well as several other parts of Connecticut.
The British hostility to their Indian neighbours led to the Pequot War, which took place partly in what is now New London. NewLondon was the site of a revolutionary fervor that ended the first major battle of the American Revolutionary War between the United States and the French this week.
The American Revolution made New London one of the most important ports of the United States during the Revolutionary War. Before the Revolution, Connecticut was known as the Provisional State, and most of the supplies for Washington's army went through the city of Newtown, which was the main port of call.
Maritime activities were important to New London from the very beginning, and the good harbour the Thames Estuary offered was attractive to the new settlement. There was also a strong interest in the natural resources of the region, such as water and land, as well as in the natural beauty of the river.
There are four Greek Revival buildings that make up the Huntington Street Whale Oil Road, and many plaques cite the 19th century, when New London was nicknamed "Whaling City."
The American Jewish Year Book documents a chapter of Chovevei Zion in New London in 1899 and 1900, and the Sons of Zion were founded in 1913. Jewish community and established religious diversity in NewLondon , it became one of the most diverse cities in the United States in terms of religion. A third Orthodox synagogue, the Temple of Israel, opened in 1924 and accommodated the summer residents.